Mindfulness and Compassion Training
Stress Management Solutions teaches practices to help reduce pain, anxiety, depression and relationship conflict. We integrate the best of ancient contemplative practices with modern neuroscience to support health, happiness and well-being. With practice the methods we teach will foster more joy and happiness in your life and relationships. Start the journey today and start practicing one breath at a time.
Let me introduce myself, I am Eric Nelson owner of Stress Management Solutions (bio: instructor), I am honored to share the profound teachings of mindfulness and compassion to support you on your path to greater health and well-being. I have been a meditation instructor for over 30 years and offer a wide range of courses for beginner and advanced students e.g. 8-Week Courses, Saturday Practice Retreats and Bi-weekly Drop-In Classes.
To learn more about Mindfulness and Compassion continue reading and also check out our Resources menu.
Classes are offered in the Kalamazoo area, to view a list of upcoming courses Click here or check out a bi-weekly Drop-in Classes, see description below:
DROP-IN CLASSES resume in November (click here for more information) NEW! 1st and 3rd THURSDAY of each month from 7 to 8 pm @ KAZOO BOOKS, 2413 Parkview Avenue, Kalamazoo. Donations accepted, $5 suggested to sustain this offering. SATURDAY RETREATS, held Quarterly(click here for information). Held either the 3rd or 4th Saturday of each month from 9:30 -3:00 pm @ Stryker Nature Preserve, Carver House. Open to both beginners and seasoned meditators. A time to learn about mindfulness and compassion and to help sustain and deepen your existing practice. Suggested donation $35 to sustain this community offering.
What is the Value of Mindfulness Training?
The answer is simple, mindfulness training has been tested in hundreds of research studies and found to be uniquely effective in improving overall health and well-being by reducing stress and anxiety and improving attention and relationships. Just like physical exercise, which strengthens the body, mindfulness exercise strengthens mind, emotion and body balance.
Mindfulness is the ability to be attentive to our moment to moment experience in a non-judgmental, non-reactive and kind manner. Instead of unconsciously reacting to life, based on past habits and conditioning, mindfulness gives you the freedom to consciously respond to life from a fresh, creative and compassionate perspective.
When people hear the word compassion, they tend to think of kindness. But scientific studies have found the core of compassion to be courage. A standard definition of compassion is, “a sensitivity to suffering in self and others with a commitment to try to alleviate and prevent it.” (quote by Professor Paul Gilbert). In western society the practice of Self-Compassion is essential. Our culture with its emphasis on individual achievement tends to make us very critical and judgmental of ourselves and is often experienced as a internal mental conversation with our inner bully. Self-Compassion practice counters this self-judgmental tendency by cultivating self-awareness, acceptance and kindness, which together supports improved health, well-being and interpersonal harmony.
Who Practices Mindfulness and Compassion?
Mindfulness and compassion training is commonly taught in such settings as: personal wellness classes, healthcare, psychotherapy, education, business and sports.
Benefits Based on Hundreds of Research Studies
- Lowers levels of psychological distress including depression, stress and anxiety
- Improves immune function
- Lowers rates of health-related absenteeism and fewer hospital admissions
- Fosters overall sense of well-being and life satisfaction
- Develops stable self-esteem and less dependence on external rewards
- Increases empathy for self and other
- Improves awareness, understanding, and acceptance of emotions and more rapid recovery from bad moods
- Increases collaboration and ability to see other’s point of view
- Develops authentic communication
- Lessens likeliness to react defensively or aggressively when under threat
- Reduces workplace conflict
- Improves attention, performance, and job satisfaction
- Increases capacity to hold and manipulate information
- Lowers levels of impulsivity and distraction
Stress Management Solutions provides Mindfulness training to individuals to develop three mindfulness capacities:
- Self-Awareness – unbiased awareness of self
- Self-Regulation – ability to be aware of and regulate emotional response
- Self-Transcendence -positive relationship between self and other that transcends self-focused needs, improves interpersonal relationships and service to society
Course teach three-core skills:
- Focused Attention Training – Concentration practice using body and breathing awareness
- Open Monitoring Training – Mindfulness practice working with feeling, emotions, thoughts and worldviews
- Emotional Enhancement Training– Kindness and compassion practice
If you have questions feel free to contact Eric Nelson at 269-553-6621 or EricVnelson1@gmail.com